Love at first latte

This piece I really am in love with. I took a page from the summer assignment for this one and initially sketched my surroundings while sitting in a Starbucks. Due to this, My reference pictures belong only in my memory as I drew only what was placed in front of me. As for the dancing couple, I used this reference picture in order to get the right forms and shadows right. I wanted to keep this as simple as possible so I left the painting very sketchy. Another thing I did was only use coffee grinds as paint and colored pencils. This was a little challenging for me as obviously watercolor and coffee grinds are very different in chemical makeup, therefore they behave very differently on paper. I enjoyed using the coffee though as it was something new to try. I got the idea of a couple dancing in a coffee shop with the musical notes around them because jazz was playing in the coffee shop and always inspires me to dance. I like that I kept only what was coming from the "spilled coffee cup" in color because I wanted to portray it more like a dream or of a reflection of what the person who spilled the coffee wanted in
love and in life. I feel as though this piece as a good source of movement and definitely harmony. If there was one thing I would change it is the circle just inside the top of the spill as it is supposed to be a spotlight on the couple, however I feel as though it doesn't quite read that way. Overall, I am very pleased with this piece.

Comments